Thursday, June 30, 2011

Making story time more adventurous for preschoolers and up!

We spend so much time reading books in our house and re-enacting them with felt pieces and magnets. We re-tell the story together using our puppet theater, but I’m finding that as D gets older, he needs something new, almost like he wants to put his own little twist on the story

Something fun that I’ve created for him to do on his own or share with friends is a story box. I try to find as many characters from the story as I can and then create the ones we may not already have, like little people, animals etc. I let him use natural props like pine cones, sticks, leaves, rocks etc. and provide him with large pieces of fabrics and colored sheets of paper to create the background, little dishes if there is water. I want to provide as many materials as possible to really allow him to bring his creativity to life; make sure you don’t set it up for them…you want them to be the creator of their story!

Don’t worry if you can’t find all of the materials, or can’t find a box. You can just empty a good size drawer for a few hours, or even let them climb into an emptied cabinet at floor level! Using familiar props in as many ways as possible really encourages children to use their imaginations.

You can absolutely use this activity with younger children too; as long as the small parts are taken out. In my experience with it I find that it’s nice for D to have a special activity that was made just for him

No comments:

Post a Comment